Skip to main content

A Conversation With: CVRL. Wave 001 release!

Today - 9th Feb 2016 - has seen the release of wavemob’s first ever mixtape, wave 001, and I for one am very excited about it! Anybody who follows the movement knows the mob have been pushing a very exciting and unique sound for a while now. This release has had huge anticipation among fans, and it certainly doesn’t disappoint! Deep, meditative and moving, the tape showcases a striking array of talent; Klimeks, Kareful, CVRL, Skit, haven, Foxwedding, Trash Lord, NYQUILL, nvrmore, rare, hnrk, Spoze and Ofdream have all contributed, making it the perfect, compact representation of the best sounds on the wave scene right now. 



I urge fellow wave fans to listen to and purchase it via Bandcamp. It really is a beautiful piece of art work, and I have a feeling that we are going to look back on this release in a year or two as one of the most influential wave releases! In order to celebrate the mix tape I have been in touch with some of wavemob to find out about the tape itself, the mob, and of course about its members as individual producers. I will be publishing interviews with them over the course of this week. Last night I had the pleasure of speaking with CVRL. I’m sure we all know how incredibly talented CVRL is, but if for some reason you aren’t familiar with him, you can sample his silky smooth sounds here. He was a pleasure to talk to, a very humble and friendly guy – you can find a transcript of the conversation below!

 ***


Hey man! Thanks for speaking to me! First off, can you tell me a little bit about yourself? I know you’re from Sweden, do you live there now?

I’m 24 years old and yes from Sweden, but I currently study architecture in Copenhagen.

Do you just make music in your spare time between your studies then?

Well I make music for maybe one or two hours per day, unless I'm in a really good flow, then it might be longer. I spend a lot of time studying or with my girlfriend. We moved here at the end of last summer, so we still have a lot to explore in this amazing city.

Ah that sounds amazing, I’ve always wanted to go to Copenhagen! Okay, so, you must be really excited about the mix tape dropping tomorrow?

Yes, I'm very excited! It will be my first physical release!

That’s pretty cool! I think it’s cool that you guys are releasing on cassette! Will it be released digitally as well?

Yes digital as well. It sounds better on cassette!

For sure! Have you guys ever thought about releasing on vinyl?

Haha, yes but you should ask Klimeks about that instead.

I will do! How long did you work on the tape for?

I actually only worked on my track for a few days, but I’d known about the tape coming out for a couple of months, since when Klimeks asked me to join wavemob.

I see, so you became involved in wavemob through Klimeks?

Yes. He first asked me if I wanted to make a mix for them, and then if I wanted to join.

Nice! How long have you been producing for?

I started with wave-ish tracks a year ago, but I used to make techno music before that. I think I probably started producing in 2011. I don’t think I was as good at that though, melodic music is more my thing. I actually realised that when me and a friend who used to make dubstep started making 80s-style music.

Cool! And what do you use to produce?

I’m using Ableton at the moment, just on my computer.

I see. So, how did you become interested in wave?

Well, I was actually talking to friends about production, and about a friend of ours who was making beats and had like 5000 followers on Soundcloud. That guy is grxgvr, and he inspired me a lot. His tracks are really amazing, after listening to him I also wanted to make that kind of melodic, dark music. I really liked it. So I started making my own tracks and after a while I started to develop my own style, inspired by the Soundcloud trap/wave thing.

I’m familiar with grxgvr, he is an amazing producer! Okay, the wave genre is relatively knew, do you have many thoughts on where it came from?

In my opinion, wave is something between dubstep, hiphop, grime, and other genres. Those are the roots of the sound, but Soundcloud has really made the genre what it is. People upload their stuff onto Soundcloud and people get inspired by each other and go on to develop their own sound, and that, after a while, grows into something new.

Yeah it definitely seems like Soundcloud has done a lot for the development of the genre. Okay, so have you met the rest of wavemob face to face? Or do you just chat over Skype and social media?

No we haven’t met yet, we use Facebook chat and skype to communicate! Kareful and Nyquill were the first ones I was actually in contact with from wavemob, back in the spring. We will meet this month though, we are playing at the same show the 24th at Phonox in London. Plastician, Skit, Kareful and others will be there. All the UK wavemob crew will probably meet up before the show or something and have dinner, so that will be the first time we properly meet.

Yes, very excited for that event, it looks amazing! Have you played in the UK before? Do you play in Copenhagen often?

No, this will be my first time playing there! Very excited! And no I have never played in Copenhagen.

Do you go out to see live music much? What sort of music do you like to see live?

I actually went to club for the first time since I moved to Denmark last Friday, I usually just go to bars with my friends or have dinner and stuff. But we went to see Ben Ufo playing at Culture Box here in Copenhagen last Friday, which was good. I'm actually really excited to see Ludovico Einaudi in May, that’s not club music at all though.

No way, you got tickets to see Einaudi, I’m so jealous! He sold out in Bristol straight away! That will be incredible. But anyway, talking of club music, there has been a lot of speculation on how suitable wave is for a club environment. Do you see it as club music?

It’s definitely club music. There is, like all genres, different types of tracks, some are more chilled and some are hard. You can build your set and play them out just like any other DJ does.

Do you see it getting more popular and more exposure in clubs then?

It will. People asked the same questions about dubstep.

Yes! I’m glad to hear you’re confident about that! Well that’s pretty much everything, is there anything you’d like to add?

Um, I like wavemob! And you should buy our tape!

You can listen to and buy wavemob’s mix tape, wave001, here.

All the information about the event that CVRL mentioned at Phonox in London, can be found on the Facebook event, here. This promises to be a really exciting night for wave music, and all fellow fans should certainly join me in heading to London for it!

Popular posts from this blog

A Conversation With: Klimeks

Hi again Wave/Chill/Soundcloud heads! I’ve been pretty silent on the blog recently, ever since my conversation with young talent KALEYN dropped, due to boring real-life things like working and moving flat, but I’m delighted to finally be able to upload this interview with none other than Wavemob frontman Klimeks!

A Conversation With: Deadcrow. First Post of 2017!

Wave heads, it’s been a long time coming but I’m finally back with my first post of 2017, and I have an interview with none other than pioneering producer and Terrorhytm alumni Deadcrow to share with you!